About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Silks and Helpers

The Silks are Here! The Silks are Here!

This is the day that all corn-growers wait for. The day we see the first silks. Well, given that this is my first time growing corn, this is the day that I have been waiting for anyway. I saw them last night and promptly tossed pepper on the silks. The pepper is supposed to keep moths from landing there and laying eggs that hatch and bore into your corn. Tonight (and the next 3 days), we will go out and hand pollinate the silks. This is because I don't have many planted, so wind pollination will probably not be enough. I'll create a post showing how we did this.

In the meantime, enjoy pictures of the silks and some helpers that I caught visiting the garden:


And here's one of my favorite helpers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment