About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Preserving Zucchini

Well, I have only harvested about 6 lbs of zucchini so far, but I decided to go ahead and start preserving it so that I do not get behind----as we all know, plenty of more zucchini is on the way!

For this first batch I decided to shred the zucchini. The shredded zucchini will be used in soups, casseroles, zucchini cakes, and baked goods (cake, bread, cookies).

I began by washing the zucchini. I then shred it (skin and all). I used a $4 shredder from Walmart.

Next I steamed the shredded pieces. I don't have a steamer, so I created one. Using a pot, a top, and a straining basket. I steam the zukes for 3 minutes and then dump the strainer (with zukes) into a bowl of ice water.


Last, I used a measuring cup to scoop the zucchini shreds into one-cup servings on a platter. I place these in the freezer. Once they are frozen, I will transfer to freezer bags. Then anytime I need a cup of shredded zucchini, I can just grab it by the cup!

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment