About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Harvest Monday


This week’s harvest looks a lot like last week’s. I promise this isn’t the same picture. Look a little closer, this picture has a few green beans and a couple of jalapeno peppers; so that is my proof.
2012 10 13_8029

The peppers are putting out their post-summer flush. The jalapenos and green beans were fall planted but have already  began to produce.

Why not give you a preview of harvests to come (hopefully).

I have never grown nor eaten kohlrabi. I don’t think it is sold here; so the only way I can try it is to grow it myself. Looks like I better find me a recipe.
2012 10 13_8014


The basil is definitely ready to harvest. I have been pinching back blooms. There has been very little return of the black spots since I pinched all the effected leaves off. I’m just not ready to harvest these yet; but I will before the first frost which should be a month away.
2012 10 13_8022


Of course there will be more beans and peppers; but I just wanted to show you that I have a couple more things that are fairly close to harvest time. I’ve got more stuff planted but  nothing else within a week or two of harvest.

I’m sure somebody has more to show you than I, so visit Daphne’s Dandelions Harvest Monday to see what other gardeners are harvesting.

7 comments:

  1. Your kohlrabi looks great. I have never eaten it before either though I have tried to grow it and failed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peel the kohlrabi, slice or cube, cook like you would broccoli. I frequently combine it with other veggies and do a stir-fry alone or combine with meat, poultry or seafood. I like mine crunchy so taste as you go along to find which stage you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat kohlrabi stewed, including the chopped leaves, in a creamy sauce. That is the way it is often eaten in Germany. It's also great peeled and sliced and eaten raw with a dip. Yours looks very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have some basil growing again, just love that stuff but my plants are done for the season sadly. Those are some nice bell peppers on the counter this week. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks wonderful! Your kohlrabi looks perfect and I'm sure it will be absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your harvest looks great, I always have trouble with timing kolrabi and it doesn't seem to like my climate, so I do turnips; much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful selection of peppers! and that kohlrabi will be very yummy either in a stir fry or just sliced thinly with a nice dip.

    ReplyDelete