About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

What was I Thinking

Bed 6 is my bed of winter squash. I have lots of butternut, acorn, and spaghetti squash out maturing now.

We are fighting squash bugs, cucumber beetles, and the squash vine borer in our other squash beds. But this one hasn't been attacked yet.

Instead, this bed is suffering from.....uneducated gardener mistakes. I planted 6 winter squash in this 4x8 (ish) bed. I had no clue that winter squash were vines. These things are huge! They are attacking the pea bed to its right and the tomatoes to its left. I had some extra cucumber trellis' left that I stuck in there to train some of the vines to go up.

 
So far it looks like they are going to tear the trellis down. Unruly things they are! Its almost like looking at a jungle when you peek between the vines. There are lots of squash under there; so getting close to maturity...Can't Wait!
 
Note to self: Winter Squash are vines; not bushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment