About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Spring Carrot Planting

North Texas is best suited for planting carrots in the fall. However, my fall crop was disappointing because of my heavily compacted clay soil. I decided to try again, but this time try in grow bags...until my soil can be amended enough to properly grow carrots.

Just as in the fall, this to is an experiment to see what happens.

I built these custom grow bags to plant the carrots in. I then made my own seed mat, following the instructions found on Annie's Kitchen Garden Blog.

I drew my lines 3" apart in both directions and glued a seed everywhere the lines intersected.
Here's a close up
Next I placed this, along with some carrot seedlings that I had already started into one of my grow boxes.
I covered the paper lightly with peat moss, watered, and covered with cardboard until they germinate.
We'll see how this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment