About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Harvest Monday

One of the perks of growing broccoli is that the plant produces side shoots after the main head has been harvested. I was never quite sure what a side shoot was or how many there would be, but thus far, I have been pleasantly surprised. From the one plant that I have harvested a head from, I have now harvested about another head worth of side shoots. This is pretty good given that its Dec/Jan; when things are growing quite slowly.

I also harvested some spinach this week that was used on homemade pizza and I harvested more collards that were braised with bacon (I didn't have any turkey necks this time).




Oh and last week I did harvest a carrot, but it wasn't useable. I didn't think they were ready, but I just had to pull one to be sure.

Check out more harvests over at Daphne's Dandelions Harvest Monday.


8 comments:

  1. Why was the carrot not usable? Looks good to me. My broccoli has made side shoots but I mostly just snack on them because they don't make much. I have gotten a meal out of my spinach though. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit impatient with broccoli - once the main head is cut I want the space back to grow something else. I'm with Becky - that carrot looks fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got impatient with my carrots too. Pulled one up hoping for a big carrot and got a puny, skinny little thing.. still yummy though. I think my carrots aren't going to get full-sized until spring. Good luck with your carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always munch the baby carrots I pull when "checking how they are doing" - they are not a meal by any measure but make a tasty little garden snack after a quick rinse under the hose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these lovely looking broccoli harvests! I grew Nutribud this year and was impressed by the longevity of the crop compared to other varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doh! I guess I could have used the tiny carrot...I'll know better next time. Thanks all! The broccoli with the abundance of side shoots is Packman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to eat the broccoli leaves as well! They taste just like the broccoli itself. Great in salds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what was wrong with the carrot? They are good even if they are small...tho some varieties are not their tastiest until they are a little bigger. I'm waiting from my broccoli and cauliflower to grow up. This year they were late going in because I was on vacation. Next season there will be several sowings beginning in July/Aug ....

    ReplyDelete