About Us

Enjoying the modern conveniences of life in a sustainable manner through technology, resourcefulness, and Zone 8a (North Texas) Gardening.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Garden Planted!

Ok so 80% of my fall garden has now been planted. Only the garlic (next week) and onion (in two weeks) remain. I really don't like starting seeds indoors mainly bc I don't like the room they take up, the watering everyday, the messiness, the hardening off, nor the transplanting. Other than that, planting indoors would be wonderful. Luckily, I live in a climate where I can direct sow most seeds. However, I then have the problem of 'losing' the seed or mistaking the seed for weeds. Surely, I can come up with a solution to my problem.

Tissue Rolls! Yes, tissue rolls. I cut them to a length of about 1".

I then set them in the soil, fill them with compost and plant the seed (to the proper depth) inside the tissue roll.

I also did this in my beds that were mulched with mulch laid over newspaper. I just cut a hole in the newpaper, stuck in the tissue roll and surrounded them with mulch.

Tissue rolls are free (well they are) and they will soften and degrade over time. They most likely won't fully decompose over a season, but they will soften enough so that it doesn't prohibit the plants growth. They also have the added benefit where they can be set above soil level....which is great protection against cutworms.

No comments:

Post a Comment